Sunday, December 12, 2010

Seeing behind the questions



So my community has been discussing this video for a couple of years.  Every once in a while, one of us will bring it up on the computer again, and we'll sit around and watch it.

I think it demonstrates the futility that a lot of people feel about talking about their faith with other people.  Everyone is afraid they're going to get into a conversation like this, and that they won't know what to say or how to say it.  And I guess if you're prone to emailing people about faith, it would be really easy to get stuck in a conversation like this.

But this kind of situation has never happened to me.  I think it's because when I talk about faith, it's usually after I actually have a relationship with a person, where they know a lot more about me than just what I believe.  And when someone brings up something that they struggle with, most of the time I empathize with them and talk about how I've struggled with the same questions.  Sometimes I'll offer how I resolved the conflict or question in my own mind.

But rather than engaging at a rational level, answering all the questions that are on the surface, I'd also want to engage with the emotional barriers I see.  I see a couple of potential ones here.  What do you see?

Tomorrow I'll talk about the ones that I am guessing could be behind these questions

No comments:

Post a Comment